Thursday, March 4, 2010

In the Blink of an Eye

I've just picked Max up from school and am waiting at the stoplight when I glance up in the rear-view mirror:

Max has reached over, and at first glance, it looks like he's playing with Alex's ponytail - about to grab and possibly tug. But he's actually carefully placing the stray hairs falling on her face behind her ear.

Alex tells him, "Guess what, Max, I was line leader today."
*He's gently caressing her hair now.*
"Oh, that's great, Alex. You had a lucky day," he says sweetly. "Did you also get to help wipe down the tables? I always liked to do that."
"No. Just line leader."
"Oh."
"Hey, Max. Do you know why I like to wear this outfit?"
*She's in her purple and black, velvety dress and pants she picked out for the holidays.*
"Why?"
"Because it has a BIG BOW on it! It's special."
*she starts giggling*
"Ya, you look really pretty in it."
"Ya."

I take a deep breathe and savor the tenderness. It comes out of nowhere and disappears just as quickly; but it's such a beautiful act to witness.

It brings me hope.

No comments: