Wednesday, February 17, 2010

That Magical Hour

It's 4:45pm. Day 5 of feeling like extreme crap.
Max cries from the couch, "I'M HUNGRY, MOM! WHAT'S FOR DINNER?"
Fuck. Dinner. What IS for dinner?
"I DON'T WANT LASAGNA!" (it's the one dish he hates)
That's good because I haven't made any. I haven't made anything. Or thought of making anything. Shit. And now it's that time of night where I start panicking a bit because Dan won't be home for another hour or more and any minute the hunger meltdowns are about to occur.
I keep looking in the fridge- then the cupboards - nothing's thawed. I just want to lie down.
Max starts screaming. Here we go.

"MOM! ALEX IS TOUCHING ME!"
Tell her to stop.
"I DID! BUT SHE ISN'T STOPPING!"
She's just lightly touching his arm.
"ALEX, STOP TORTURING YOUR BROTHER!!!"
"OKKKKKAY!"
But, of course, she doesn't stop.
Now I'm really panicking - there are no leftovers - I've got fresh spinach and mushrooms and lots of frozen meat???????
"STOP IT, ALEX!"
He elbows her in the chest.
Alex is now screaming and crying.
Max yells from the couch, "I'LL ORDER CHICKEN WITH CHICKEN SKIN!"
"You don't order anything from the couch! EVER! Now apologize to your sister."
He tries to comfort her, but it just pisses her off and makes her cry even more.

I don't even feel good enough to drink wine.
This depresses me and makes it even harder to think.

The kids go from screaming messes to screaming spazzes in seconds.
Now they are running through the kitchen and around the loop.

Okay, I'll just make a creamy mushroom and spinach sauce and defrost some chicken.

Now they're fighting over MatchBox cars.
I love it when they fight. About everything.

Dinner's finally done.
I place it on the table.
"OH, COME ON!!!! I DIDN'T WANT THIS! I DON'T WANT THIS! WHAT IS IT?!"
"EW. THIS DOESN'T LOOK GOOD, MOMMA! I'M NOT HUNGRY NOW."

You're welcome.

No comments: