Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Skiing Last Saturday



Before I took this shot, it was just Max, Alex, and I and Dan was off taking his turn to skate. Max skied really well around the large loop near the nordic center (he was really pushing off and gliding- I am constantly amazed at how quickly he picks things up) and then we stopped at this little hill so he could practice going downhill. Of course he had no problem getting up the hill, but the first run down was a bit of a disaster - totally leaning back with the poles circling - and then the inevitable crash. So I implored him (he tends to tune me out -just the beginning I'm sure-) to hold his poles out in front of him and bend his knees... and Voila! ... he looked like a little ski racer.

Alex was happy rolling around on the hill eating the snow and somehow managed to avoid getting smashed by Max careening down toward her.

I should note also that Max quickly became bored with the groomed hill and soon ventured off into the snowy, tree-filled area right next to it to see what that would be like... at which point I thought to myself, what the fuck am I doing - putting this child on skis and teaching him to go downhill?! And then I thought... he's going to have to wear a helmet... even for cross-country skiing... this child is going to have to wear a helmet.

No comments: