In the past couple of days Max has started calling us MOM and DAD. Actually, it's more like Mooom and Daaaad! He really draws it out. I can't speak for Dan, but it freaks me out - and quite honestly - makes me a bit sad. I thought I was going to be MOMMY for at least another year or two. I don't know. I don't feel like a Mom yet. It took me a long time to get used to Mommy.
In my very foggy and sleep deprived mind MOMs are like organized, experienced offense players in outfits that match... and they do A LOT of driving...their deodorants work...the kids are super scheduled with school and activities...there is chaos, but it's managed...problems can be discussed...bribes are actually effective.
MOMMYs are pretty much entrenched in the field of damage control and they do A LOT of serious heavy lifting...there are always diapers to clean and leaky ones to curse...mitigating meltdowns often means fixing broken bananas with toothpicks - or more heavy lifting with lots of kisses...few things are scheduled (getting of the house before 9am takes major effort and usually a bit of yelling)... and daily showering is a bit of a luxury (as is blogging).
Perhaps it's just a short phase and he's trying it out just like, "You're a pookie, pokie, pookie!" But this is what I fear might be next:
"MOOOOM, can you please zip up my pants and also I can't do the snap!!!" and I'll say, "Can you just try it yourself? I'll help you after I finish changing Alex's diaper if you still don't have it!" Then he'll say, "Jeez, MOM, don't be such a hard ass! I told you I can't do it!"
Oh, Mommy, it's just a name. I know, right?
4 comments:
I was shocked the first time I was called "Mother." It was a short phase but enlightening. I am not sure that I like that name! I am, despite trying this and that name, and always have been, Mamma... and have a feeling that I will always be!
Max will go back to "Mommy" again, but be ready for the "Mom" word again when he does not want to sound like a baby! Funny, as we grow older, how we shorten the word for dad and mom. At times, Uncle Steve calls me "Mommy" and it is kind of endearing - and he does it on purpose - usually along with a hug and a kiss. Won't be long before you are choosing, mom mom, grandma, grammy, nanny, nanna, so enjoy. Every once in a while, I get called "MOTHER"!, by Aunt Cathy. Usually, this is with some kind of "you did what"? meaning behind it. At my age, with my mom gone, the name "Mom" brings tears to my eyes and a flood of loving warmth through my heart.
I have fixed many a train with a bread tie to stay hooked up, but that is a new one - fixing a broken banana. Wow, you are creative and accomodating and a very good mommy!
Dau,
Keep these last two handy when they moove into the teen years, you will probably need the humor. your piece on Alex walking is priceless, Might copy and frame. Wow
I love the old picture and and I think there is a lot of that little girl alive in you
love ya
Dad
"Mommy" only comes out of my mouth when I'm asking for money or telling her I've done something else really foolish (like "Hi mommy, I love you, I promise I'm okay, but I'm dropping out of grad school to work at a ski lodge in Winter Park, and then jump out of planes after that. Okay mommy?")
Cherish the "mom" time in case he, too, reverts back to "mommy" for things you don't want to hear!
Post a Comment