Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Greener Grass

GOOD LORD! How the hell do I minimize these margins? It really irritates me. It's almost been a month since I've posted anything. I feel compelled to put something down; although everyone has probably stopped checking to see if there's anything new by now. By the way, if anyone is left, you don't have to be registered to make comments anymore...in case that barrier was a bit much. Let it rip!

Dan is out of town for a couple of days. I can't be sure who is in charge. All I know is that I felt like putting the kids to bed at 6 tonight. "But it's still light out, Mommy." Curtains don't fool them anymore. I've never had a reason to dislike the increasing daylight before. But, damn the day feels sooooo long when there's no diversion walking through the door right about the time you really feel like walking out.

Anyway. I think there should be rules for phone conversations between spouses during such times. First of all, calls should be kept to a minimum...like once a day just to make sure everyone is okay. Mad dashes through the house (to find the phone before my 3 year old secretary gets it) just to hear he didn't sleep well in his hotel room really piss me off. This leads to the second rule: The one who gets to fly away, loses all whining privledges. Seriously, at this point in my life he could tell me he was stuck on a grounded airplane for 8 hours and I would still be envious. The reading I could do!!!! Thirdly, the one left at home should only discuss matters of real importance....like how much Alex is walking everywhere...and that, at one point today Max declared that he believes in stars - and he likes rockets - and then he requested that we sing ARE YOU SLEEPING? together at least 50 times. I totally suck at rule number three. And lastly, the business traveler should admit how nice it is to get away...even while working.

3 comments:

VA Belles said...

This was too funny... I know it isn't funny when you are living it, but honestly, it is funny. I live these kind of moments all the time. I definitely don't think that they are funny when I am in the. I like the rules and agree, complaining is not desirable from the party who is not undertaking the challenges of the kids and the home front

As for your 3 year old secretary, they are fabulous for handling telemarketing calls! !

Anonymous said...

lol..I was happy to see a new entry. Sorry to hear Dan is out of town. I would offer to help but I've been deaaling with the dreaded stomach bug all week and still cleaning up the ocassional puke in the crib at 11:00pm. I know if I came anywhere near a 3 yard radius of your home you would shoot me dead on the spot...and it would be justified.
I completely agree...those who get to leave the compound have lost all right to complain. suck it up sissy boy!

Melissa said...

OMG...your mom forwarded your blog to me and I am still laughing AND crying (knowing what is in store for me)...LOL Your commentary is so REAL and so HONEST, I absolutely love it. Keep writing, I think it is great for you to have a medium to air your thoughts and I appreciate you sharing them. I am with you 110% on the spouse out of town thing. I won't vent here but I am making your brother read that entry!