Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Alex is FINALLY Walking!

-camping one summer with Marla and family-
This was just sent to me recently and knowing how much it will make some of you laugh...I felt it my duty to share. You can double click on it for a larger, fuzzier version and yes!, that is a Morris T-shirt I'm wearing. The really funny part about this picture (I'm told) is that I still cross logs in a similar fashion these days (no pun intended). Enjoy!

Now, on to business. This is a conversation I recently overheard between Dan and Max:
D: Do you have to pee, Max?
M: No!
D: Then why are you dancing around? I think you need to pee.
M: No, I don't.
(More of the same and Dan finally convinces him to go.)
D: See, Max, you did need to go. Why did you keep saying NO?
M: You said YES. That's because why!

Alex bit the crap out of Max's finger last night. He was sweetly feeding her a cheese bunny...when all of the sudden...*!*. She left a dent and everything. Poor guy was severely traumatized. I bet. Her teeth are wicked sharp. I didn't say anything, but after the day she had had with him (enduring several shoves, a kick, some insanely annoying head tappings, many steam rollers, at least five true squashings, and being held back, against her will, more times than I know) .....I thought to myself, yep, that's about right. There's a wild animal behind that precious facade.

I think he's quite frightened of her new skill. She'll be barreling towards him and he'll just start screaming, "Mommy, Alex is coming!!!! Get her!" Oiya Vay! I love watching Alex walk. She feels the power in each step quite deeply....and the look on her face is so beautiful....such pride. I just love it! She was even Dancing with the Stars last night...feelin' the beat of the rumba...adorable . Max really likes to dance too when we watch that show...we all get up and shake our tushes.

We made our bi-monthly trip to the library today. This is usually how the library unfolds: Shhh!, Max! This is the library. We have to be quiet. Use your little voice. Ya, right, whatever. (Alex is immitating me shushing...unbelievably cute!...she likes the 'Old Lady Whispering Hush' in GOODNIGHT MOON.) I start pulling out books that look interesting and Max tells me after each one that he doesn't like that one. He leaves to find the train puzzle and yells over to me when he finds it. Shhhh! Alex wriggles down, and with a giggle, starts pulling out all of the books she can get her hands on. I frantically start trying to put them back where they belong, but I can't even think straight enough to alphabetize because Alex has moved onto the next row. (WHY, DIDN'T I BRING THE STROLLER?) I collect Alex and stash her in a big chair with an oversized Paddington. She's delighted for all of 30 seconds which buys me just enough time to snatch a random selection from the shelves and announce that it's time to leave. Wow. What an... uh... inspiring trip! Out of the random sampling Max usually really likes 2 or 3. Not bad, eh?

No comments: