"I have a hike in mind that I have wanted to do all summer... now that fall is setting in. Might be too epic , maybe not... It would involve a shuttle to Pittsburgh, an early start, a good day, and someone that wants to do it with me... An abbreviated backwards version of the Ruby Ridge. Starting at Lake Irwin. Ruby, Owen, Purple, Afley, Oh Be Joyful, Hancock and Richmond. Then down the ridge to Daisy pass and into Pittsburgh. I think it would take 10 to 12 hours. Or we could do something else. Give it some thought..."
Reply:
"That sounds fantastic!"

So I went to Crested Butte this past weekend for another quick getaway. To catch up with some dear friends... and some mountains I've been missing for a while.
We did indeed get an early start and left the car near Lake Irwin. This is Ruby in the morning sunlight.

It was super cold and windy once we got to the top of Ruby. There wasn't much point in hanging out so we set out for Owen. It was still extremely cold and windy on top of Owen - so - onward! This is Tom, freezing his ass off, between Owen and Purple. He's so completely in his element. I'm impressed that my numb hands are still functioning at this point!

After Purple, we go on to Afley. The sun is making its way through the clouds more often and the wind has calmed a bit; so we decide to stop for a break. To the east is Mt. Crested Butte.

To the west is Marcellina... and Tom... working on a sketch...

And then there's me in front of the Elk mountains. I'm so happy I can feel my fingers again!!!! Hurry up, Tom!

We've still got a ways to go. Daisy Pass is in the saddle above the green basin on the right.

Looking back at Purple and Owen. I like cairns... particularly this one. Finding one is so satisfying. Where else in life do you get that? This is exactly where you need to be. Right here. And then you move to the next one. I just love that.

I can't remember what peak he's between here, but I do remember what he's thinking:

"Oh, shit! Look at that storm coming our way!"

Thankfully, it was so cold it snowed - and then there was a rainbow!

Finding the smooth, dirt trail at the top of Daisy pass, after scrambling over rocks for 9 hours, was kind of awesome. Can you tell?

And then we walked and talked - through the wildflowers, streams, and, of course, cows - to the other car in Pittsburgh. It was another fantastic adventure... just as we'd hoped.
1 comment:
Katie,
thanks for the great chronicle of a special day!
Post a Comment