Monday, May 14, 2007

Take Some Medicine and Suck It Up

Mother's Day was the same day as our 5th Anniversary. It was a snot filled, crabby sick day for pretty much everyone. But, hey, I'll take snot over vomit anyday. Max did wish me a Happy Mother's Day... about 50 times. "Hi, MOMMY-MOM, Happy Mother's Day!" "Thanks, Max!" Big kiss and hug. "Happy Mother's Day!" "Thank YOU." "Happy Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day!" "Thank You, Max." "MOMMMMM....(what)....Happy Mother's Day! It's your Happy Mother's Day!!!" "YEP." "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy! Happy Happy Mother's Day!" "Okay, Max. Thank you." A couple of minutes go by...then he starts it up all over again. In my crabby, sickly, exhausted state I'm thinking...not one flower?...no breakfast?...where is your father?...please, be quiet. And then he looks at me with one eye open and one closed (he has recently learned he can do this and he knows it makes me laugh...it's very cool)...his face is all contorted. "Look, Mommy, I have ONE eye OPEN and ONE CLOSED...but I can't switch (he is trying) because it's very hard and I have to eat a lot more so that I can get bigger and THEN I can do it!!!! Mommy, what day is it? - It's Mother's Day. - Oh. No, what DAY is it? - It's Sunday. - YES! That's right! It IS SUNDAY! We can go swimming now." We didn't go swimming-or do much of anything besides shop for plants. I bought myself a beautiful hanging pot full of Lobelia and felt much better. Dan bought some tomato plants for the garden and I think that made him feel better too. Alex and Max had a great time chasing each other through the tunnels under the tables.
Alex also said her first clear NO. She was standing on the top step of her chair... which she knows she's not allowed to do...just smiling and giggling and saying NO to herself. She's a defiant little muchkin. She just smiles and laughs at you when you tell her not to do something...then she does it anyway. It makes part of me so proud!

No comments: