Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Critters Amongst Us

Last Tuesday night, I was down in the basement getting the bed ready for Tootie's visit when I heard this scratchy - squeaky noise. It was a baby rabbit who had fallen down our window well and he was trying to get in...auwww...! I called for Dan to help get him out and he and Max came down. Max was very excited. I grabbed a towel and Dan opened the window and tried to catch him. He wasn't able to...which was apparently my fault. Once I saw how fast and jumpy that cute, furry thing was I started screaming like this freaked out sissy and couldn't seem to stop. So the bunny jumped inside....Max got knocked over pretty hard in Dan's mad lunge to grab Foo-Foo. He wasn't so excited anymore. I screamed even louder...I'm not sure why. Dan yelled at me to 'man up' so I could help block...but the mere thought of the bunny springing towards me gave me the creeps...you would have thought gigantic cockroaches were flying about. Somehow amidst the chaos, we lucked out and Foo-Foo quickly ended up in the corner of a closet and Dan was able to get him. We set him free out front and he happily hopped away. I, however, will never live my embarrassing display down. ---
For three mornings in a row now, we've had a horny woodpecker pecking on the top of our metal roof vent. The rattling fills the entire house. He usually starts at 5:30 on the dot. It takes someone going out and throwing the soft, squishy Gertie ball up at him before he will fly away. This morning was my turn again. I get the job done, but it takes multiple attempts. At first, Dan was hell bent on getting a BB gun until he witnessed my aim, or lack thereof, with the ball. ---
Then there are the wasps that love the new playset and the little water fountain I built out on the patio. I hate wasps. This is a picture of the fountain before the kids dismantled it to play with the rocks, a very large bird pooped in it (probably said woodpecker), and the wasps began hovering...waiting for a drink. I like the fountain though...it sounds nice and it never looks the same...there is a Zen element in the constant cleaning and rearranging of the stones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I was laughing so hard I started crying..that was classic. It reminds me of the scene in Monty Python where the rabbit attacks the knights...if you not familiar with it ask Dan...he's a geek like me...anyways the knights all yell "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY" with the little rabbit hopping around the mounds

Katianne said...

Yep! It was exactly like that Monty Python scene...I so badly wanted to run away. ;)

Anonymous said...

blah, blah, blah

Anonymous said...

Poor lil wabbit, probably traumatised for life.
Surprised you didn't come face to face with creatures in your rock climbing days.

Dad