The other day Max wanted to go to a certain park, but we had never given that park a name... like Red Park, Orange Park, Snow Park, Spinning Park, Pirate Ship Park... so I was having a hard time figuring out which one he was talking about. All he could tell me was that it had an orange digger, a red, blue, and green sign, and he said "I went to it when I was a baby - when I was 3." I could only think of two parks that had diggers, but he was sure those weren't right. He started to get really frustrated and gave me another hint, "it's in Colorado!" ... as in, if you can't think if it now... well, then... And I couldn't. "I'm sorry, Max. I can't think of any others that fit your description." Silence. Then he says with complete and utter disdain, "I WISH DADDY WAS HERE. HE WOULD KNOW WHAT I WAS SAYING!"
Seriously? After all of the pink milk I've made for that boy! Actually, I knew this day was coming. But I thought I had a few more years before the contempt began. What's really sad is that he was right. Dan figured it out that night. He remembered the park near my old apartment in Denver... with an orange digger... and the sign. We've been to it two times and I think the last time was when he was 3.
Dear Max,
In my cognitively impaired defense, Daddy is the one who's had sleep in the past five years... and I'm not complaining about that one bit... really I'm not. That's more time I've had hugging and kissing and snuggling with you... and listening to you tell me how much you love me. You're growing up so fast though; I don't know how much longer I'll have that kind of closeness with you. When you say certain things to me these days, I realize you're no longer a little, toddler boy. You're a boy who rides around on his bike with all of his neighborhood friends, who shakes peoples hands and says, "Nice to meet you!", who has such confidence that he can walk into a room full of people and say, "HELLO EVERYONE!" , and, like most other boys you think saying POOPY HEAD is the funniest thing in the world. You drive me crazy sometimes - I love you too!!!
1 comment:
God I love your blog. You are a fantastic writer and it doesn't hurt that your material is priceless. I just have one question - what in hell is pink milk?
Post a Comment