Friday, April 17, 2009

My Daughter Doesn't Play With Dolls

You'd think this was my first day on the job...

This morning Alex asked if she could take her new favorite, very small, rubber, bouncy ball to Costco. And I immediately just said, "SURE." Red Flag! Red Flag! Red Flag! You should NEVER, EVER say YES in such a quick manner. That's like rule #1 in The Book... wherever that thing is. You always say NO at first. It buys you some time to think about all of the possible scenarios and whether or not you have the energy and sense of humor to deal with them. I can't even say MAYBE to my kids because they think it means YES - if Max smells an inch of wiggle room I'm completely screwed.

Anyway.
I know you'll be astonished to hear this: the damn thing ended up bouncing all over the store - and there I was - like the stupidest person that ever lived - chasing after it - with the monster cart - for the better part of an hour while Alex screamed, "MY BALL, MOMMY! GO GET MY BALL." For some reason I kept giving it back to her because it seemed like a preferable alternative to listening to her scream about not having it. But like I said... I wasn't thinking clearly. Obviously.

No comments: