Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 Things About Me

This was a Facebook meme that I finally got around to...

1. I once climbed nine peaks in one day along the the Ruby Range in the Elk Mountains: Purple Mountain, Augusta Mountain, Richmond Mountain, Hancock Peak, Oh-Be-Joyful Peak, Afley Peak, Purple Peak, Mount Owen, and Ruby Peak. I thought about that day when I was in labor both times... it's still my most difficult physical achievement.

2. Speaking of labor, I don't know why anyone would want to be a doula. Picture it: You're a doula. You're in a hospital. You open the door to a birthing room and find a mother close to 10cm circling in her bed as if she's some animal bedding down. You say hello in an extremely perky voice and ask her if she wants to bounce on a ball for a bit. Seriously? No. Look in the corner. See that guy over there in the chaise lounge stuffing his face with a burger? The husband. That's what he's for.

3. My favorite sound is my husband's laugh.

4. We were married on the beach in St. John by some guy named Frank wearing a brown polyester suit. I have no idea what our vows were, but I remember that.

5. Swimming in open water scares the crap out of me. I blame my sister. (you know what you did)

6. Heights, however, are no problem.

7. I really miss climbing... the whole adventure of it.

8. But, I'm glad to be skate skiing again. I love skate skiing. I can have snot hanging from my nose, underwear riding up, a bunion on fire, and lungs that feel like they might explode and I still love it. There's nothing like the feeling of gliding on your skis.

9. I also love to cook. I am now extremely thankful for all of my restaurant and catering experience.

10. I have been a frozen yogurt server, a note-taker for the deaf, a nanny, a hotel maid, a banquet server, a waitress, a prep cook, a fast-order cook, a bagel baker, a dish washer, a pastry chef, a pantry chef, a caterer, an art gallery clerk, a lingerie boutique clerk, a chemist, and a paralegal.

11. I'd like to try farming... nothing huge, but enough land to grow most of our own food.

12. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned that different chickens produced different colored eggs. (i know)

13. I really want to learn to knit.

14. I don't like shopping... for anything... especially with the kids.

15. If I ever have to retie one of my shoes, I have to do the other one as well because I can't stand them feeling different (one tighter than the other).

16. I also like to have all food items in my cupboards, pantry, and refrigerator placed so that their labels are facing out.

17. I have some issues.

18. I have a large mole on the top of my right thigh (should anyone every need to identify my body?)... and a huge bunion on my right foot... and some large scars on my right knee and left hip.

19. I tend to say offensive, stupid, morbid, and completely gross things when I'm trying to be funny... and trying to come up with 25 things about me.

20. One summer, during college, I camped out to save money.

21. I actually slept better that whole summer than I have in the past 5 years.

22. I now drink slightly more coffee in a day than I probably should... sometimes a whole pot... depending on the previous night.

23. For me, the most difficult aspect of parenting is the lack of sleep. That, and my super slow reaction time. I always feel like I should have said or done something much better...

24. I was never afraid of dying until I had kids.

25. I am an extremely lucky person.

No comments: