We have been reading about the solar system lately. Max likes to tell people he meets (especially other kids at the park) that they live on planet Earth. He has yet to meet an equally enthusiastic audience...
except Alex...she's always fascinated by everything he says. She copies everything he does these days...sometimes every minute mannerism and word. She's constantly saying, "Me too, me too!" Alex wants to be like Max so badly she doesn't like to admit she's a girl though she'll settle for Tom-Boy-Girl. We've been reading 'Girls Hold Up This World' to her - she really likes all of the pictures...she doesn't realize it yet, but her girl power is strong.
Max has a fish tank in his bedroom now with 2 orange and black fish (they're tropical but I forget what kind). I think he sleeps better knowing he's not entirely alone. I seriously considered getting him a dog, but with our luck it would just end up wanting to sleep with me or Dan as well. Anyway, he loves his fish and he loves helping me clean the tank more than anything. In this area he actually is a help. He can catch the fish in the net so much better than I can...so much better that I don't even want to clean the tank without his help. He's like a little fish whisperer the way he goes about it. He just holds the net in the water and waits...he keeps it very still...and he WAITS until the fish eventually swims in and then he pulls the net up. He talks to them very softly and calmly the whole time. It's the only time you will ever see this child that motionless and quiet.
I have a confession. I enjoy watching other kids throw tantrums in public. It's not that I wish tantrums upon other parents; it's just that it's so reassuring to know that I'm not alone and that those embarrassing fits are not a measure or indication of my abilities. You can avoid certain situations and mitigate circumstances as much as possible, but kids are kids and it's perfectly normal for them to fall apart sometimes. However, with society's general discouragement of meltdowns it's easy to feel like a bad mother when they happen. No matter how well you deal with them, your children inevitably cause a scene and you can instantly feel the judgmental eyes upon you. Usually mine are the ones falling apart, but there has recently been some realignment in the universe and I get to watch other kids fall to pieces while mine hop along happily. To whom ever is responsible: THANK YOU.
I also have an announcement. I have discovered the reason Max likes me to park on the left side of the parking lot at preschool. Brooke's mom always parks on the left side. He really likes Brooke. Apparently Brooke (who turns 5 next week) considers him her boyfriend and according to their teachers, they like to do everything together at school. They especially like to race each other out to the cars when we pick them up...
3 comments:
Of course! The source of any seemingly unexplainable male action on Planet Earth is the direct result of a female! I bet Alex is already causing headaches for some other boy's mother.
Well, Just caught up on your last few weeks, I can only say you take a lot more 'Stuff' than your dad ever did, but of course you know that already. I'm proud of you, amazed and honored that you are my Dau. Want you to know that even when max doesn't agree with your decisions, You can say; " and Grandpa agrees with me!" That would probably blow their mind for a while at least, How does he know?
Well hang in there girl!
Dad
Post a Comment