Tuesday, March 6, 2007

"What Happened, Max?" "Well, I don't know."

You know, you are led to believe that toilet training will relieve you of this huge burden...and it does...but what you don't realize are the events that replace the whole diapering experience. Take for example, the increase in the number of times that you actually clean your toilet in a week. It's at least 10 fold in a non-diarrhea-from-daycare period. (Personally, I don't know how I ever lived without those Clorox wipes.) Then there are the frantic searches for a restroom when out and about while carrying, not only your 1 yr. old, but also the one who needs the bathroom because he can't run AND hold it yet. (Well, that is pretty tough even at my age.) If you're lucky, you'll find one quick enough and you will be able to set your baby somewhere without cringing too much. If you're not so lucky, (like today) all you can find is a port-a-potty...it stinks... is disgusting in many other ways...and somehow you have to manage the entire fiasco with a baby on your hip and another restraining the trainee who wants to put his hands everywhere - except where necessary. What I mostly didn't foresee was the sometimes neverending prep.
"Mommy, I need to pee!!!"
"Okay, good, go ahead."
"NO. I need my trains. I have to get all of my trains and line them up............where's Gordon?! MOMMY, I NEED GORDON!"
"I can't find him. Can you just go without him?"
Long Pause.
"NO, I really need Gordon because I really need him and you have to go and find him so I can put him up on the toilet right here and so that he can watch me. I really need him."
Shlep that I am...I find Gordon. (You could also substitute Lightening McQueen.) Same damn thing.
"OH GOOD! YOU FOUND GORDON, MOMMY! Hi, Gordon. I"m going to pee now. You sit right there and watch me."
15 minutes later he finally goes. But he does go...and I am very thankful for that.

1 comment:

VA Belles said...

This is too funny. I have to admit that using the potty in our house is not as exciting as it appears to be in yours, and, well, mine won't even use the great outdoors unless it is an absolute emergency (under great protest) so I doubt I could get her into a prota potty. Our challenge has always been not wanting to go for fear of missing something. By the age of 7, I had hoped that she would have grown out of this (and it goes for any sort of potty use) but, no, she has not. Thus, it is not uncommon for us to be ten minutes into a walk and her "holding it" in! This drives me crazy!!! I have a feeling that you have quite a few years of diverse and exciting/challenging potty experiences in your future!