Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Learning the art of fun.

It's another snowy day today. What a great winter! Max and I were out working in the yard yesterday. It was 50 and sunny...but I was missing the snow on the ground. We were going to take down this little, cut tree that has been sitting out front in it's water pot since Christmas. However, when I took it out, it looked like it has started to root. I suppose it's possible although I've never heard of that happening. It does still look quite alive. It's a Christmas Miracle! I don't have the heart to mulch it now. I guess I'll keep watering it.

Max was quite the helper yesterday. He's fairly adept with the wheelbarrow given their size ratio. I have to say, I love his unwavering enthusiasm. "What are we doing now?" "Where are we going now?" These are daily, if not hourly questions. Still, he's always up for whatever you throw at him.
"This afternoon, Max, we are going to clean the bathrooms."
"The bathrooms?! Yay! That's a good idea, Mommy! They are very dirty. I want to clean the toilets. (He loves swirling that brush around.) And the mirrors. I want to clean the mirrors too. They are also very dirty." (There is lots of squirting, not so much wiping...still I appreciate his help.)
Yesterday he was just as excited to help me weed, pick-up leaves, and trim the landscaping fabric. "Yes, hooray, let's go outside and clean the yard, Mommy. I will need a shovel...and that rake...can I have that hammer?!" (NOTE TO SELF: When in need of a break, give Max the hammer and tell him to go play in the dry river bed.)

I will mourn the day he's not exhilarated to participate in the routine domestic tasks. He has taught me so much.

2 comments:

GDad Denham said...

I remember as a child, just before going to bed, asking my dad "what are we going to do tomorrow?" It was a question I frequently asked up into my teens. Continue to encourage Max in all he does for you and he will be a helper for a long time, and he will learn to do it your way.

lara kiyomi said...

Remember the anti-drug commercial in the 80s - "I learned it from watching you, dad!" ??

Same thing here. Max learns to be fun from the people he sees everyday - you guys!