So this is my first post and it feels a bit strange. I always think I have lots to say and share throughout the day when I'm with the kids, but can never seem to find words in these rare opportunities to sit at the computer in peace. Perhaps it's too quiet...ever since I became a mother, I have felt a bit lost when the world around me is silent. Very strange for me.
Well, it's been quite a week.
Kelley and the boys came over on Saturday and we all went sledding. Everyone had a grand time, of course, what's not to like about rocketing downhill on the snow. We sent Brooks down several times in his baby sled. It was quite a site to watch him go. He was grinning ear to ear.
On Sunday we drove up to Frisco to X-country ski. As usual, I-70 was stop and go and it took us twice as long to get there. So annoying! Dan skated first and I hung with the kids in the lodge. After a very short while it was clear we weren't going to make it much longer without wrecking something or someone so I pursueded Max to try to ski with me as long as we could find him poles. (He REALLY wanted skis a while back so I searched high and low for them and finally found some, but didn't think of getting him poles.) The guy in the rental department helped us out with some and they didn't even charge to rent them. But I think I lost my mind somewhere between the time they handed Max these cute little poles with very sharp, pointy ends and when we actually made it onto the snow. Stupidly, I hadn't envisioned Max with poles inside this tiny Nordic lodge- full of people- while I tried to get snow gear back on a 1 and 3 year old before we could go outside. AMAZINGLY, noone was hurt from all of the twirling and stabbing and wielding in general and we managed to get out on our skis just in time for Dan to get back. So I handed Alex (in her backpack) off and took my turn. Dan said Max shuffled and poled for a little bit before he had to carry him back to the lodge and wait for me. And then we made the long drive back home...
Saw Kelley and her boys on Monday.
Backed the car into a sign post on Tuesday smashing the rear headlight and severely tweeking the bumper. It sucks when you get out of the car to inspect the damage and there's noone to yell at but yourself.
Went out for sushi on Wednesday. 10 min in, Alex was over it and started screaming because she couldn't roam...thankfully, there were lots of fish tanks everywhere. 15 min in, Max started to gag on his extremely large bite of 'orange fish' (he loves salmon sashimi) and proceeded to vomit everything he had shoved in his mouth thus far. After just 20 min, we packed it in and drove home. It was one hell of an expensive meal on the run!
Alex took her first solo steps Wed. evening... after the unfortunate dining experience and their bath...she had the happiest look on her face. I cried. I don't remember being that affected when Max took his first steps. It happened so quickly and he never wanted our help. One day he was crawling and the next, it seemed, he was walking! But Alex likes to hold our hands. She points to where she wants to go, reaches out with both hands-demanding some assistance, and leads the way...and around, and around, and around the house we go. I think she'll be chasing after Max in no time. He certainly doesn't see it coming. He is still a bit shocked when she crawls..."Mommy, Alex moved!" Poor guy's about to be bind-sided.
Noone slept Wed. night so Thursday was quite a blur. I did manage to cut Alex's bangs. I didn't want to have to do it, but she kept yanking all of the clips out and she couldn't see otherwise. Anyway, I don't think it looks too bad considering my lack of experience cutting hair on heads that are completely still. Talk about stressful. Sharp scizzors and a bobbing, shaking, twisting, writhing toddler is an exhausting combination.
And here we are: it's Friday once again. Should get back to the laundry.
No comments:
Post a Comment