Sunday, August 7, 2011

Gratitude

Dear Max,

I just wanted to let you know that I really like getting to know you. As your mother, I know a lot about you. But most of the time I hesitate to say that I really know you. You're constantly surprising me and teaching me about who you are... and, in a lot of ways, about who I am... and it has been such a pleasure to be allowed that insight.
The other day at the pool, you went over to a group of college kids who were playing Ladder Ball and you asked them if you could play also - without an ounce of hesitation! They were a bit taken aback by your request, but they gladly accepted you into the game. You were so happy to be included that anytime you had to move to pick up the ropes you would skip!!! I watched them smile at you and your skipping (not many 7 year old boys are still skipping - especially around a group of older kids) and I was just blown away with your authenticity. You live so clearly in the moment and are so true to whatever emotion you are feeling. Honestly, that is not always ideal, but being authentic does not mean just being happy. I kept watching you with the older boys - it just doesn't ever occur to you to be any other way than who you really are. I think part of that is the beauty of being a kid, but with you, it seems like much more.

In the end, they really enjoyed playing with you and let me know how great they thought you were. Then you looked at me and said, "I told you they'd want to play with me!" So, I promise you, from now on, I will try not to stand your way or hold you back; because clearly you know who you are and what you're doing. I just hope that should you ever begin to doubt yourself or begin to feel insecure about who you are; you'll remember this little boy that you are now... so sure and so pure... and so incredibly special.

Love,
Mom

No comments: