Friday, June 3, 2011

My Little Clementine

Today was Alex's dress rehearsal for her ballet Spring Showcase on Sunday. It was a stressful two hours of prep for her two minutes onstage; but it was definitely worth it!

Let's begin with the mandated bun. Each time I touched her thin, fine, not-really-long-enough-for-a-bun hair - to goop it up or strap it down with a pin - it brought her to tears. I had to use A LOT of pins - couldn't find any hairnets! She was very brave and loved it when it was finished - which was a huge relief. It could have easily gone the other way - I kept imagining lots of frustration and flying pins. I am incredibly proud of this masterpiece...
Next there was the make-up, which she insisted on having since Miss Alyissa mentioned that it was a good idea to wear it. Once she got over the disappointment that I didn't have any glittery eyeshadow it went pretty smoothly. She REALLY likes wearing make-up and favors the 'more is better' approach!

And finally... the costume. All I can say is that she's absolutely not a fan of tights right now. She's not even a fan of underwear. So there were a lot more tears (from her) and begging and pleading (from me) - to please hurry - everyone's waiting for you - look! all of the other girls have their tights on and they're so happy! - please get up off the floor - you can take them off right away after you're done - it's just for a few minutes - can you just please try it - maybe it won't feel as bad as you think? - do you just want to go home? - it's such a great color isn't it? - if you really don't want to wear it we'll just go home - I think you'll have lots of fun if you give it a chance. So... about 10 minutes of that and somehow I eventually convince her to put it on. She's still crying and I'm trying not to cry at this point also. When we left the dressing room she noticed all of the 'good luck' lipstick kisses on the wall and they made her laugh. Then, as she joined her other Clementines, she immediately started giggling and playing with them.

Drama? What drama?

She was fabulous in her performance and said she really liked being on stage. It was so much fun to watch her. Now we're at home... and those hideous tights and that scratchy tutu... "I will NOT take them off. I love them!"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh my reading this made me laugh so hard! It was as if I had written it myself. Vivi was a bluebird in Cinderella. Impossible bun making, hatred of tights, not a fan of eyeliner, but lover of ballet and being on stage. Thx!