Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Barefoot Bliss

The other day I was outside with Alex repotting tomato plants. She saw all of the worms in the compost I was using and became so excited. She loves worms. She loves to hold them... and hug them... and kiss them... and talk very softly to them. She'll even carry them around for hours - showing them different things in the yard.

So I gave her two. She wanted a big one and a baby one. "Hi, Sweeties," she said. They sat very still in her tiny hand. "Mommy, why are they not moving?" Maybe they're sleeping. "Yes, I think they are," she whispered.

Standing in the sunlight - wind gusts blowing her golden hair around - she cradled the worms in her hands, rocked them slightly, and started to sing to them - in her most beautiful, gentle, soothing voice - Frere Jacques.

Then she delicately placed them back in the dirt.

No comments: