Thursday, October 4, 2007

"Mommy, I Have To Tell You Something!"

EARLY MORNING CHAT WHILE WE GRIND COFFEE
"Mommy, I have to tell you something. Um, um...a square...has four sides." That's right, Max. "And a circle doesn't have any sides...and it can roll."
"Um, Mommy, I have to tell you something." What. "Um, you know what melts?...ice cream melts!...and also butter." It sure does.
"Um, Mommy, I have to tell you something else. Um, um, um...what eats bananas?" I don't know. What? "Monkeys, silly!" Oh, yes, I think they do!!!

CAR RIDE
"Mommy, what's 2+2?" Count my fingers...4. YEP.
"Mommy, what's 4+4?" That's 8...counting my fingers again. YAY!
"Mommy, what's 4+8?" 12.
"Mommy, what's 4+4+8+8?" Um, 24. YAY! "You're so smart, Mommy!"
"YA!" seconds Alex.
I'm glad we have a few years before integrals.

WALK FROM CAR TO PRESCHOOL
"Mommy, what are they (construction) doing?"
They're getting ready to make a new playground and parking lot.
"WHY?"
"The new school needs them."
"Oh...what is this (small bulldozer)?"
"Why aren't they using it?"
"I'm not sure. They must not need it right now."
"But why?"
"I don't know, Max."
"But why, Mommy?"
"Maybe they need to dig bigger holes."
"WHY?"
"They need to lay really big pipes."
"Why?"
"You know, actually, I think it's just broken."
"Ya, I think it's broken. They can't use it. Let's go, Mom! We're late!!!"

DISCUSSION IN THE JOGGER
"Alex, do you know what it is now? It's Fall!"
"YA!"
"And that's when the leaves turn lots of different colors. See?"
"YA!"
"And then, sometimes, the wind blows the leaves OFF the trees and they fall to the ground and then they turn into even more colors!"
"YA!"
"Ya, that's what it is!"
"YA!"
"Alex, do you like your lollipop! Is it yummy?"
"YA!"
"Alex, do you want to trade?"
"NO!"

2 comments:

lara kiyomi said...

You have to post some videos. Max rocks :)

Jennifer said...

I understand now why some women tell their kids "my name isn't Mommy anymore!"