The B.O.B. is a Sport Utility Stroller...and it ROCKS! We have two in fact. I bought a single for Max when he could finally sit up and ride. We had lots of great strolls and, eventually, lots of great runs. Then when Alex was born, I bought a double. I got it onsale, online and the only color available was this extremely bright yellow. (It can't be that bright I thought...then, Who Cares?...then, Holy Crap!) In terms of getting the much sought after workout, there is never a need to jog with the double stroller. Once it's full of kids-snacks-water- all of the extra things you just might need- and you hit a slight head wind, the whole thing puffs up as if about to set sail and provides you with maximum resistance for the duration. As captain of your large, extremely bright yellow ship, maneuvering is a breeze (you just have to constantly push very hard) - the beverage and snack service you must provide, however, is not.
We had lots of great strolls with the 'yellow Bob' and then Max decided he really didn't want to sit anymore. Not even with a lollipop or two...or three. But he's not really a great walker...at least not if you want to cover a mile in less than an hour. So we decided a bike might be the answer...and it has been...sort of...
He's really figuring things out on his new wheels and can actually ride for a while at a pretty good clip if he's into it. Hell, he's even got skills already that I've never had. (No snorting.) Anyway, I decided to go for a run last week so we loaded up the single B.O.B. for Alex and the bike for Max and went to a new trail. It's near our house and is usually pretty empty. I also thought something that doesn't have a river with Class IV rapids running along side it would actually make the journey a little less stressful....it doesn't have a park anywhere near it, but I didn't really think that would be a problem...we were going for a run and a bike ride. Right?!
So, we're off. Running. Stopping. Running. Stopping. Mostly running though. There was a lady ahead of us. She really liked Max and Max really liked talking to her...the whole show kept us moving forward quite nicely. I actually started to breathe heavy and sweat! Then we came to the end of the trail and the lady left and we were about to turn around when -Ssssscccrrrrrreeeeeeecccchhhhhh!!!!!- Max said, "Where's the park?" I said, "There is no park on this trail. We have to turn around and go back to the car. We were just out to run and ride your bike, remember?"
"But I want to play at the park."
"Then ride back with me and we'll go to a park."
"But I can't, I'm too tired."
"Well, if you're too tired to ride back then you're too tired to go to a park." This really pissed him off and my rationalization completely backfired. He wasn't moving. Big surprise.
"I don't want to ride anymore. Hold me."
"I can't, Max, I have to push Alex." Thinking to self: You're so screwed! (Alex's window of contentment was narrowing.)
We went back and forth for a while, but he stood firm. I looked at my options and eyed the B.O.B. *Ding.Ding.Ding.* The B.O.B.!!!!
"Alright, Max. You sit on the foot rest and put your feet on the wheel guard. Watch out for the wheel and watch out for Alex's legs. I'll sling your bike over the handle bar....and...Yay! It works!!! I could probably fit another child somewhere on here!" I can barely steer, but it moves forward!!!! So, we're off! Max is thrilled to have his new vantage point and to have won in general. Alex is thrilled to have Max's helmet to poke at. I'm thrilled to not be carrying anyone! We now resemble a wrecked ship slowly making it's way back to port, but moving nonetheless. Max even feels compelled to belt out the ABC's and Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star for our enjoyment.
We even managed to make it back before I lost my sense of humor. Thanks B.O.B.!
1 comment:
You are amazing. I would have just started walking back to the car. Hopefully he won't think that he can ride in that spot every time?!
Post a Comment